The Student News Site of Central Oregon Community College

The Broadside

The Broadside

The Broadside

Thinking outside the litter box: Cat cafe opens in Bend

April Ferguson

Furry fun meets relaxation at Playful Paws Cat Cafe. As the only cat cafe in Oregon, Playful Paws offers a welcoming environment for patrons to unwind, study, and visit the 10 cats available for adoption.

Owner April Ferguson said, “Our belief is that there should always be a place where people and animals can relax and celebrate their love for each other.” The friendly environment has brought the Bend community together, from people who don’t know what cat cafes are, to regulars who enjoy monthly “cat therapy.” Ferguson is a mother of two children and works full-time as a corporate event manager while running Playful Paws. Since opening in August, she has helped over 30 cats find their forever homes. “It’s a great combination of doing something fun and doing something useful,” she said. Playful Paws works closely with CCREW and the Humane Society of Central Oregon to find homes for cats.

With midterms and finals around the corner, a student might find comfort in a furry friend. According to a poll by The American Psychiatric Association, 86% of cat owners said their pets have a mostly positive impact on their mental health and 69% say they help reduce stress and anxiety. “There’s actually a therapist that works nearby. She comes in for cat therapy a couple of times a month,” said Ferguson. “It’s like, you’re kind of grumpy on the way in. And then you come out. And you’re like, that was really therapeutic.”

The cafe is located at 1465 SW Knoll Ave, Bend, OR 97702 and students can spend an hour with the cats for $20.