The Student News Site of Central Oregon Community College

The Broadside

The Broadside

The Broadside

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes: a dive into President Snow’s dark origins

The Hunger Games; The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes takes place 64 years before the 74th Hunger Games. The film focuses on President Snow’s history and how he became the cruel president we know him to be. Lucy Gray Baird, played by Rachel Zelger, is a tribute from District 12 who sends Snow through a mental and emotional spin. The movie follows a young President Snow, played by Tom Blyth, who is assigned as Lucy Gray’s mentor, and how their relationship affects her chance at victory.

While the movie feels lighthearted with jokes at every turn from game host Lucky Flickerman, the true meaning and bloodshed of the games are truly devastating. Compared to the original Hunger Games movies, The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes seems to put a glorified twist on the games. We see how the capital enjoys watching these tributes fight for their life.

Austyn Newkirk, a student who has read and seen the movie says, “I think the book and movie were great but the book had more details while the movie showed scenes that you wouldn’t have had answers to in the book. So both were equally good.”

The movie also explores the importance of performance and being a spectacle in more depth than the 2012 movies. We follow Lucy Gray through the games, she is a performer and makes it clear to the audience that she will be heard, and in her case through songs.

I recommend this movie to anyone who has enjoyed the Hunger Games movies as it puts a twist on the Games we know. Overall the movie does the book well and keeps the viewer entertained with suspense and music.