The Student News Site of Central Oregon Community College

The Broadside

The Broadside

The Broadside

COCC is not holding ASCOCC elections for the coming school year

Photo by Kayt Vallis

This year, there has been an impact on the Associated Students of Central Oregon Community College (ASCOCC) elections since elections were not held to vote for a new President for the next school year. Instead, a representative was selected for the student leadership position through a hiring process, rather than holding open elections.

One of the main reasons behind this change is that only one student ran for the ASCOCC President position this year, rather than two or more students. Current ASCOCC President, Dray Aguirre said that “only one student ran because they had a good understanding of what the job entails”— and because, like any other Student Government member, the new candidate “has a passion to serve students.”

However, elections can allow for fairer representation and diversity among student leaders. “Students do not get to make their own choice,” said Aguirre. “I believe that it could be an opportunity for students to become more involved in our school and see the power of their voice.”

Not all students may feel adequately represented or that the chosen representatives have been sufficiently vetted for their qualifications. This might cause a decrease in engagement with the student government among the student population. Aguirre also said, “I see this as an opportunity for students to recognize that they influence what goes on with the school with their student fees.”

Aguirre added, “I think that the more available we are as student leadership, the more other students will consider joining the council at some point in college.”