The Student News Site of Central Oregon Community College

The Broadside

The Broadside

The Broadside

24th Annual Turkey Trot Puts the ‘Community’ Back in Community College

November is for all things turkey and Saturday, Nov. 4 was no different. Skies may have been gray, but spirits and a sense of comradery were at a runner’s high when 138 students, family and community members arrived ready to race in the 24th Annual COCC Turkey Trot.

Nearly twice the turnout of last year’s run, the event, which functioned as a scholarship fundraiser for the COCC Foundation, was really about building community and inclusion as runners from ages 6 to 77 participated in the 5k.

Before, during, and after the race, runners and their supporters could be seen encouraging and motivating one another with homemade signs, chants and cheers bolstering runner’s moods.

Even though this was a fundraiser, the main goal was not necessarily to raise money but bring people together around a shared interest and “integrate students with community members,” said Assistant Director of Club and Intramural Sports Josh Motenko, organized the event.

“It’s all about bringing people together, right? And for students, especially after COVID, it’s really hard to bring them out of their shell, bring them out of their dorm room, or bring them out to get exercise,” he added.

“There’s a lot of different people from different parts of the community here,” Josh McKinney, a first-year student who came in second place said as he cooled down. “One of my professors ran this race. It’s cool to see everyone come together from different walks of life where we wouldn’t normally come together, we’ve come together to run today.”

“I like the positivity, I like the comradery, getting to know new people… I just like the community involvement of it. It’s a very positive thing, especially right now in the world,” said Mindy Brooke, a past participant and adult student volunteer helping with the race.

“It’s a fun event, I’ve been doing it for years,” said four-time trot runner Lori Lacks, a special-education teacher who ran the race alongside her eighth-grade son. “It’s a great support of the local community college,” she said, trying to catch her breath after reaching the finish line, addingthat she was excited to see a larger turnout that included groups like Girls on the Run, a running club for third to fifth graders at High Lakes Elementary.

Joan Vinci, a coach for the program that aims to build self-esteem for girls as they enter middle school, was beaming with joy at the turnout and excited for her girls to participate in their end-of-season run. “We’re all happy and here to run and that’s all that matters,” she said in anticipation of the race that took place around the perimeter of the college.

With entrance fees costing $15 to $20 for members of the community and free to COCC students, after a complimentary t-shirt and prizes were handed out, along with other expenses paid for, not much was raised for the foundation.

But that is ok with Motenko who is focused on the overall enrichment of students’ lives. “For students, we want to make sure that they have access to fun, fitness and opportunities to make friends for free,” he said. A goal that he believes was accomplished that day.