The Student News Site of Central Oregon Community College

The Broadside

The Broadside

The Broadside

Street Dog Hero launches TacoFest

Christina Mclaughlin

Street Dog Hero, a local nonprofit organization providing spay and neuter services, adoption, and animal rescue teamed up with Marcos Rodriguez of Hola! Restaurant for Bend, Oregon’s first-ever Taco Fest in the Old Mill District last month.

The collaboration, which took place on May 11, sparked from Street Dog Hero’s rescue and vet teams’ visits to Mexico, where the organization can spay and neuter as many as 900 dogs and cats over a three-day clinic.

Founded by Marianne Cox in 2007, Street Dog Hero has been traveling to Mexico since 2017 to provide spay and neuter clinics.

The organization joins forces with local veterinarian clinics and community members to provide services to dogs in various cities throughout Mexico and the U.S.

Street Dog Hero welcomes volunteers to help with post-surgery animal recovery care during once-a-month clinics, participate in dog fostering, or join other volunteers for daily walks during the summer.

The Street Dog Hero hopes to expand their services to other countries and a team will be headed to Jamaica this October for their next vet and rescue clinic.

Anyone interested in joining the Jamaican trip or seeking more information about volunteering or fostering may email Street Dog Hero’s Foster and Volunteer Manager Paige Kidd, at [email protected].

Check out Street Dog Hero’s calendar of events for more adoption dates. All adopted pets are fully vaccinated and spayed or neutered.

Previous events included Bingo and Adoption at the Midtown Yacht Club, a Rock Paper Scissors and Adoption, and more.

Upcoming events include an adoption and trivia night hosted by Silver Moon Brewing on June 13 from 7 to 9:30 p.m.