The Student News Site of Central Oregon Community College

The Broadside

The Broadside

The Broadside

Precious Byrd performs at COCC for graduating students

Photo by Kiah Albertus

Last Friday, Central Oregon Community College hosted the band Precious Byrd at the Bend campus athletic field. The concert was free to the community with food available for purchase and a student giveaway. The COCC Student Life department hosted the concert to celebrate 2023 COCC graduates and their hard work. 

Ryan Rhodes Wikiup Liaison and member of the student life club said, “We wanted to plan something special for the students, to celebrate the end of the year and their accomplishments.” 

As the concert started, the audience spread blankets and chairs across the COCC athletic field. Precious Byrd had the Bend community smiling and dancing the night away. According to preciousbyrd.com, the band was voted #1 party band in the Pacific Northwest for multiple years in a row and features Grammy Award winner Lonnie Chapin.  

As the show began, lead singer of Precious Byrd said to the crowd, “Feel free to do what you do and just be you, congratulations COCC graduates.”  

The crowd continued to sing along to many rock ‘n’ roll classics such as “Give Up The Funk” by Parliament. The event also featured the food truck Zorba the Greek and Bend local serving Frito pie tacos.  

Finals week can be stressful for every student, so having the opportunity to relax on a Friday night and enjoy live music can be relieving. Honoring the hard work and accomplishments of COCC graduates was the goal of the concert and it was a success! 

For more information on COCC student life and events click here.