The Broadside newspaper and several student journalists received awards from
two collegiate journalism contests.
For the Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association Collegiate Newspaper
Contest the following students placed:
• First place, General Excellence
• Best news series, third place, Junnelle Hogen, “Patrick Lanning hiring series”
• Best news story, third place, Molly Svendsen, “Attack Aftermath”
• Best feature story, first place, Brayan Gonzalez, “Uphill battle: One Broadside
reporter finds out what it is like to go to class in a wheelchair”
• Best news story, first place, Scott Greenstone “ Killinger faces allegations of
The ONPA collegiate Newspaper Contest was open to all 2-year and 4-year
publications in Oregon.
For the Pacific Northwest Association of Journalism Educators student journalism
contest the following students placed:
• General News, first place, Junnelle Hogen
• General News, Honorable Mention, Scott Greenstone
• Comprehensive reporting, first place, Molly Svendsen
• Page Design, first place, Rhyan McLaury
• Features reporting, honorable mention, Brayan Gonzalez
• Editorial cartoons, third place, Noah Hughes
• Photo illustrations, third place, Emily Garcia
The PNAJE contest was open to community college publications – print and/or
on-line – in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana.
First place entries in both contests will be sent and judged at the national
competition early this summer.
|The Broadside Staff|