The Student News Site of Central Oregon Community College

The Broadside

The Broadside

The Broadside

Opinion: First-Time Players Should Start Fortnite in the Zero Build Version

Vernon Jackson Smith
Fortnite Victory Screenshot

If you are a newcomer or a casual gamer about to enter the world of Fortnite, you will want to start the game in Zero Build mode. This setting of the game will offer more enjoyment without the frustration of learning the game mechanics present in the Build version of the game.

Fortnite is an online video game where players from across the globe compete against each other in either a free-for-all or teams’ environment.

The two popular features are the standard Build Battle Royale that allows players to create defensive structures, and Zero Build – Battle Royal where building is disabled and has less complex gameplay than the former.
Whatever mode you play, the objective is to be the last player or team standing.

Why newcomers shouldn’t start with the Build version of Battle Royale:

First off, Build has more tools that can confuse first-time players. Aside from worrying about shifting between running and sprinting, new players will also have to be careful not to suddenly activate the build functions.

Certain buttons and keystrokes are programmed to bring up transparent wall, ramp, or pyramid builds that can obstruct a player’s vision. The transparent structure models will stay on the player’s screen unless they close the function with the appropriate button.

Those inexperienced with the game’s commands could become frustrated from trying to close the functions, move their avatar, and dodge opponent’s attacks. In some situations, all three occur at the same time.

Aside from having to learn the ropes of the build functions of the game, first-timers will also be playing against more experienced and competitive opponents.

You could be winning against an opponent in one second, and next thing you know they have just made an entire fort within the blink of an eye.

These are only a few possible scenarios that could occur with the Build version of the game, but they are scenarios that could lead to an unenjoyable first-time experience.

No one wants their first time with a new game to be a struggle, unless you’re a Souls game enthusiast.

Why Zero-Build offers a better start for Fortnite newcomers:

As stated earlier, Zero-Build is strictly player-versus-player without the standard game’s build functions. The only thing that players have to focus on in this mode of the game is just moving and combat.

As a new player, this mode will allow you to become more familiar with the gameplay mechanics and allow you to slowly develop your skills.
You will still be competing against more experienced players but will have an easier time adjusting without worrying about accidentally pressing build commands. Also, you won’t have to worry about competing with an opponent who can instantly create giant structures.

Altogether, it will be a more enjoyable experience than repeatedly pressing on random buttons to either fight or build while struggling to survive each round.

In conclusion, If you want to have a good time while starting your Fortnite experience, give Zero-Build a try first before you dive further into the game.

If you’d like to embrace the difficulty and challenge of the Build mode, that’s fine too as long as you are having fun.

However, if you want to enjoy the game with less competition, there are other modes that offer as much fun as Battle Royale. Fortnite also offers less competitive features such as Lego Fortnite and Creative Mode with a more relaxed gameplay.

At the end of the day, remember that the purpose of video games is to have fun and enjoy the experience.