Summer shindigs are on the horizon. Plan an event that won’t break the bank by following tips from “Party-Planna Anna.”
- Make your own food and decorations: Come up with a menu. Consider a potluck and encourage guests to bring beverages. Look up affordable do-it-yourself party decorating tutorials online.
- Determine a location: Look for a venue based on your guest list and price range. If you’re planning an outdoor event, keep in mind Central Oregon weather is often unpredictable. Make sure you have a backup plan.
- Host a game: Add your own twist to traditional party games or challenge friends to a game on the Wii.
- Draft a party budget: Determine what you can afford and how many guests you can accommodate.
- Plan in advance: The sooner you start planning, the more time you’ll have to shop around for the best deals and cut costs where you can.
- Play some live music: Have a guitar on standby, and when the mood strikes, get everyone together for a song.
- Create personalized entertainment: Make a video, slideshow or custom playlist for your guests.
- Utilize available resources: Borrow supplies and don’t be afraid to ask friends and family for help.
- Develop a tradition: Plan yearly gatherings with friends and make a vow each year to find new ways to top last year’s party.
- Send free invites: Save on invitations by texting, emailing or contacting friends via Facebook.
- Hit up the dollar store: Be sure to have a list going and stick to it.
Second year COCC nursing student Anna Quesenberry is a wife and mother of two who is passionate about saving money.