Don’t let finals sneak up on you. Putting off studying now will only add to stress later. Follow these Do’s and Don’ts to get through “Dead Week.”
- Don’t waste time on stress. You don’t have time to beat yourself up over grades or previous study habits. Stay positive and be confident.
- Do plan ahead. You know you have x-amount of time before finals. Schedule schoolwork into each day.
- Don’t attempt non-stop cramming. For every hour of studying give yourself a 10 minute break.
- Do prioritize. Chores can wait, but eating and sleeping should rank right up there with studying.
- Don’t forget to relax and have fun. Give your brain a break. Schedule a few hours of pure fun this week and completely clear your head for a few minutes each day.
- Do write “To Do” lists. Map out all your tasks to get organized.
- Don’t skip breakfast. In a rush, try instant oatmeal or a bagel with peanut butter and a piece of fruit. Snack on almonds, blueberries, apples and peanut butter.
- Do plan for the unexpected. Give yourself extra time, set an alarm and plan on being early, just in case.
- Don’t feed off other’s stress. Test anxiety can be contagious, so it’s a good idea to get off-campus for a while.
- Do use different study strategies. If studying becomes too mundane, you won’t absorb anything.
- Don’t forget it’s only one week. Spring break will be here soon, then you can forget all about finals.
- Go to your happy place.
- Get unplugged.
- Walk along the river.
- Ride go-carts at Sun Mountain Fun Center.
- Rock out to your favorite album.
- Go for a jog with your dog.
- Watch your favorite movie or TV series.
- Dress comfortably.
- Drink green tea.
- Laugh about it.
- Take a deep breath.
First year COCC nursing student Anna Quesenberry is a wife and mother of two who is passionate about saving money.
Next on ODGB, save money over spring break.