1. Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card: If you liked The Hunger Games, you’ll love this futuristic novel set in a future where extraordinary children are sent to a battle school in the asteroid belt where they train to defend Earth from an alien invasion. This novel sports a fantastic main character, fascinating school dynamics and a twist ending that will have you jumping to your feet and shouting “No way!”
2. Jennifer Government by Max Barry: If you love dystopian fiction, this is the novel for you. Max Barry paints a picture of a futuristic America that has taken capitalism to extreme levels– everything from filing a police report to requesting care from an ambulance is a business deal. Companies hire assassins to promote new products. Schools are sponsored by corporations. The bottom line is always the dollar sign in this world, and the government only has as much power as they can afford to buy.
3. The Diviners by Libba Bray: Everything you could want in a book is rolled into one in The Diviners. This novel– the first in what will be a series– is set in the 1920s. A young flapper, Evie, moves to New York to visit her uncle and his museum of creepy crawlies; while she’s there, she becomes involved in the investigation of a series of gruesome murders. She soon learns that the supernatural has a hand in the destruction being wrought, and she may be one of the few who can stop it.
4. The Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond: A cookbook for the foodie/photo enthusiast. Award winning blogger, Ree Drummond’s book features step-by-step detailed photos of recipes like “Rib Eye Steak with Whiskey Cream Sauce, Comfort Meatballs and Perfect Pot Roast.” This cookbook is comfort food at its finest. The food and photography is so well done, you’ll want to lick the page.
5. The Avengers by Rich Cohen: If you’re passionate about non-fiction, this true-life story of Jewish resistance fighters during and after the Holocaust will bring your head and your heart into the struggle. After the war, this group of freedom fighters went on to take the fight to Nazi war criminals.