The bottom floor—or the “garden” level—of the Barber Library houses one of the riches resources for students:the CAP center.
Career services – Academic advising – Personal counseling
• Career Counseling: If you are having trouble choosing a career path or a major and you want to know what your options are, come to the CAP center for one-on-one help. Call 541-383-7200 to make an appointment.
• Student jobs: Not only can you get help with your resume, cover letter, and interviewing techniques, the CAP center helps students with their job search by providing information on how to apply for campus and local jobs. The online resource COCCStudentJobs.com will “connect you with part-time employment and career employment opportunities throughout the Central Oregon region,” according to the CAP center website.
• Academic advising: You are required to meet with an advisor; students will not be able to register for classes until they meet this requirement. An advisor helps students to navigate the college system, focus on goals and understand the requirement of a particular major. Students partner with their advisor when planning their college path.
• Personal counseling: Depression, relationship issues,stress, time management and interpersonal conflicts are just some of the reasons students seek out COCC’s free and confidential counseling. “Everything discussed with a counselor is legally confidential (except for child abuse and threat of harm to self or others). No information will be released without a student’s written consent. Even the fact that a student has attended counseling is confidential information. Counseling records are kept separate from other student information, and cannot be accessed by COCC faculty or other students.” A healthy diet and exercise is essential for your physical self but hearts and minds need care as well.
• Tutoring and testing center: Take advantage of free tutoring services available to all currently enrolled COCC students. This is an unbelievable resource. Go to the lower level of the library, sign in and take a red and green tin can to your table. When you flip the can so the red points up, a tutor will come and find you. It’s that easy. Check the hours on the website or drop by and pick up a schedule.
• The center also administers tests on everything from dental state boards and pre-RN exams to a pesticide applicators certification
For more information call 541-383-7538
The CAP center is one of the tickets to academic success! Call 541-383-7200