Lebanese lentil soup recipe for early Spring
In honor of these early spring days that don’t quite feel like spring yet, as well as the celebration of Ramadan, here is a healthy and easy Lebanese soup to fight those chilly nights, yet still provide you with a warm hug.
Cook time: 1 hour, 45 mins
– Red lentils (dried)
– Vegetables: Onions, carrots, potatoes
– Water or broth for the liquid in the soup
– 7 spice
– Fresh parsley
– Toppings: Pita bread and caramelized onions
Prep the lentils: Rinse the lentils in a fine mesh sieve until the water runs clear.
Prep the veggies: Cut the vegetables and place them in a large pot with the lentils.
Boil: Add the water and bring the pot to a boil until the lentils and vegetables soften.
Blend: Use an immersion blender to blend the soup into a smooth and creamy texture.
Season: Add the blend back to the pot and stir in the spices and fresh parsley.
Simmer: Cook on a lower heat for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the lemon juice and let the soup cool down for 5-10 minutes before serving.
– Adjust the amount of water or broth to suit your taste.
– You can add some greens for a twist, like kale or Swiss chard.
– Give it a spicy kick by adding crushed red pepper flakes on top of the soup.
– The easiest way to bend the soup is with an immersion blender.
– This soup freezes well.