Department of Public Safety Winter driving tips
- Sign up for the ENS system through your bobcat account. Important campus closures or restrictions are distributed through this system.
- Use ODOT’s trip check for roadway conditions. https://tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp?curRegion=5
- Slow down and keep a safe distance – probably the most common cause of accidents on campus is unsafe speed for conditions, coupled with following too close.
- Use winter driving safety equipment – winter tires, studded tire, 4WD, etc. and make sure your vehicle is in satisfactory operating condition, especially your wipers.
- One easy way to lose control is to heavily apply your breaks. Don’t put yourself in a position where you have to do a panic stop…drive and plan ahead.
- Don’t be fooled….a seemingly “damp” road can actually be a frozen, icy surface.
- Use caution when walking on icy/snowy surfaces
- Do not park or pull into lots or areas closed, they are closed for a reason and you may get stuck or hamper our snow plowing efforts.
- All traffic laws are enforced by Campus Public Safety Officers – the regulations and signage are there to provide a safe traffic environment.